Sitting on a flight for nine hours over the Atlantic Ocean really makes you think about what needs to be in a carry on. Trust me when I say a perfectly packed carry on is crucial. In fact, a carry on is so important that it’s not included in my Packing 101 post because it deserves a post of its own. My carry on pictured here is from Lulu’s! Here are my top 10 essentials for a carry on bag!
- A book: This is an absolute essential, especially for long flights. The in-flight movies aren’t always the best, and chances are you’ll wind up bored halfway through. A book is the perfect solution. I’m reading Lena Dunham’s Not That Kind of Girl.
- iPad: This may not seem like an essential since chances are you’ll have your iPhone. However, if you’re like me, you keep a lot of extra apps on your iPad. I have pages of games and other apps I don’t want using up space on my phone. Games normally don’t need wi-fi, so whether there’s wi-fi are not on your flight, you’ll be kept occupied.
- Makeup: Stashing your makeup in your carry on is great for two reasons. First, because your makeup bag is probably one of the heavier objects in your suitcase. Finding room for it in your carry on leaves more weight and space in your luggage. Secondly, no matter how hard I try, I am seldom able to fall asleep on flights. This results in huge dark circles underneath my eyes. Sneaking off to the bathroom an hour or so before landing and freshening up leaves you getting off the plane feeling better about yourself. However, be sure to check the TSA rules before carrying liquid aboard! My makeup bag can be found here.
- Change of Clothes: If you’re on a long flight, you’re probably feeling a little gross by the time you get off the plane. Keeping an extra pair of comfortable clothes can really help reduce the gross feeling and make you feel refreshed. Additionally, if your luggage gets lost, it’s nice to have at least one change of clothes while figuring out what to do.
- Deodorant: This goes along with the gross feeling planes tend to leave. Keep a travel-sized deodorant in your carry on and apply as needed.
- Perfume: I love traveling with a small rollerball. Rub the fragrance on your wrists and neck when you need a little spruce. My favorite is Juicy Couture’s Viva La Juicy and La Fleur dual ended rollerball.
- A Jacket: You never know what the temperature on the plane is going to be like, so play it safe and pack a jacket. The small blankets provided by the airline just don’t do the job. My current favorite jacket is my green bomber from Topshop.
- Headphones: As I wrote about in my perfect playlist post, (my first ever post!!) you definitely don’t want to be stuck on a plane without some killer tunes. Headphones are an absolute must to listen to a playlist or watch movies, so don’t forget them!
- A Journal: Nothing inspires me like travel. I love jotting down memories, ideas, or future plans in my journal on the flight. It’s a perfect way to pass time and stay inspired. My journal is from Target!
- A charger: Finally, bring a charger! This is a no brainer, you don’t want to be on a long flight with dead electronics. Throw your charger in your carry on and stay connected and occupied.
And there you have it! I hope you all enjoy! Look for my next post later this week.